Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

And on the lighter side of things...


Why do kids act so immaturely sometimes?
A few days ago I overheard Pete saying: "Colsen, what are you doing?? Stop that! You shouldn't be doing that - -you are not a 2-year old! [Pause] Oh, wait, well, you ARE a 2-year old... But, still, stop doing that!"


Simply misunderstood
Rayna: Oww! Colsen just pulled my hair!
Colsen: No -- that was Tebow the [imaginary] dog who did it, and he just does that because he loves you!


Misunderstandings are sometimes soooo funny
Strider: Mom, Ellie got 72 pieces of candy last night in an hour and half and then she came home and ate 53!
Me: No, she didn't honey. [Thinking: the Drescher's wouldn't be THAT crazy, right? Right?]
Strider: Yes, she did! She just told me!
Me: Honey, I don't think she really said that.
Strider: MOM! It makes sense. If she went out for an hour and a half, why couldn't she come at 8:53?
Me: Ohhhhhhh.... I thought you said she ATE 53 pieces.
Strider: [Full-out laughing] That's so funny! And now we turned it all into a JOKE! Ah, that's funny.


I guess I should be happy he's excited to learn stuff, but....
A couple weeks ago at their school co-op, Strider and Rayna had opportunities to dissect crayfish. So a couple days later, at the first sighting of a dead creature (in this case a huge, giant bug), wouldn't you know Strider excitedly asked if he could dissect it. Thinking I had him stumped, I told him we couldn't since we didn't have the proper tools. But he answered, WAY too quickly, "We could just use your little [manicure] scissors and tweezers from your make-up bag!" I'm glad he at least asked first, so I could oh-so-firmly answer, "NEVER."

And then the next week, after they dissected the grossest thing I can think of, owl pellets -- I’m not even going to write here what those are -- Strider announces in the car on his way home , “I have a rodent skull in my pocket, and another one in my backpack.” I almost pulled over right then and there. I am way too squeamish to be a homeschooling mom.


And, I guess I can't be angry with her for this...

After telling Rayna repeatedly to come finish her work one day, I finally came downstairs to find that instead of sitting at her desk, she had gone outside to the front step.
"Rayna! Come in here!" I said, "You're supposed to be doing your work!"
Her answer: "I'm just out here looking at the beautiful day."

Good reminder for me.

4 comments:

  1. Rayna = awesome. I need more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH did John and Owen LOVE the owl pellets. EWWW~ I think O could have dug around in them all day. Gross. Rayna is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is it's a good thing you ARE writing a book!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is what you need Amy... kidwings.com You can dissect a "virtual" owl pellet. Personally, I love the dissecting thing, and to me this is way less fun, but for the squeamish it is perfect!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete