Pages

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving warm-up

In preparation for our upcoming celebration, we put a big piece of paper up on the door for everyone to record what they're thankful for.... It wasn't hard to do -- we've been so richly blessed!

One of the first things I put on the list was EXTRA FISH. This has nothing to do with our big, anticipated dinner, but I do think it's a good Thanksgiving story anyway.

I was reading in John 21 about Jesus' encounter with His disciples after He came back to life. While the guys were out fishing all night, and not catching anything, Jesus came to the shore near where they were (He loves suprise parties), and they noticed him, but didn't know it was HIM. I can just picture Him chuckling as He tells them to put their nets back in on the right side (as if they hadn't already tried that a bunch of times!).

And then maybe He laughed full out when He saw their faces as their catch was so big they couldn't even haul the net in. The disciples had not been in danger of starving -- in fact there was already some other fish cooking for them on the beach by the time they got in. And they certainly didn't need all 153 fish. But I think God just gets a kick out of over-blessing us sometimes.

That's how I feel this Thanksgiving. Not only has He given me fish when I've needed it, but so many times He's also given me an extra 152 fish -- just because His love and His generosity are SO BIG.

I'm thankful to serve this kind of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment