Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

For the future

Dear Future Milo --

I want you to know someday what kind of toddler you have been, because you sure are... well, fascinating.  And someday when you're complaining that your parents seem to have no energy, maybe you'll now realize that your 2-year old self helped to sap that energy at a far faster pace than one would think possible.

If I had to sum you up in just a few words... well, I couldn't.  And since this is my blog and I have all the space I need, I'll just use all the words I want.  But some of the key words that come to mind are:  commanding, contrary, and cute.  Oh look, your mom is so alliterative.

Lately your dad and I have been both cracking up and getting extremely exasperated at your desire to tell everyone how it should be.  You're very bossy.  You know what you like and aren't afraid to share that information with the rest of us.  For some reason, your older siblings often cave to your demands -- and you are outraged if anyone ever tries to thwart you.  When you're riding in the car, you often say yell things from the backseat like, "Stop!  No, no going home!  No, turn LEFT!  I said stop!  Don't go that way!  NO! NO!"  I often hear you yelling, "Yes, I MAM the BOSS!" when we try to tell you that you are not.


Since the reality is you must share your living space with several other people, you have found ways to adapt and try to rise above the crowd.  Several times a day you talk over others, saying things like, "I'M TALKING!  LISTEN TO ME!  LOOK IN MY FACE!  ANSWER ME!"  A shy, retiring petunia you are not.

You also like to argue with just about anything you can argue about, and some things you can't.  For instance, a couple days ago I went up to your room and found you lying in your crib.  The whole room was hot because the sun was streaming in, and when I picked you up, this was our conversation:

Me:  Oh, sweetie, you're so hot.
You:  No.  I'm not hot!  I'm cold!

In the middle of the night this week you've woken up a few times.  In each case, this is what transpired:

Daddy:  Miles, do you need to go potty?
You:  NO!  No potty!
Daddy:  Well, let's go anyway.
You (in the bathroom):  NO!  NO!  NO POTTY!!
Weary Daddy:  Ok, then.  Let's just go back to your crib.
{He puts you back in your crib and comes back to bed.  Then 20 seconds later...}
You:  Daddy!  I need to go potty!

Yes, this was repeated each night.  Daddy is a slow learner in the middle of the night.  Guess who makes him so tired!

Ah Milo, God has surely given you a strong will.  May He channel that strength into zeal for following Him. 

And may He let this contrariness be just a stage.


Love,  Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment