Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

Farewell Mr. Keane

This week Bil Keane, the man who seemed to have known my family so well -- even before we were born -- passed away.

 As a child I loved reading his cartoons, and as an adult I've loved even more watching the cartoons play out in front of my eyes.  It is quite fun living with a Billy, Dolly, Jeffy and PJ... even if I'm not as tall and slender as the mom portrayed in the strip.

Just this morning, I asked, "Who poured this too-full cup of water here?"  and Strider answered, "N.M.!".... which I realized, because I've been here awhile, stood for "Not Me."  Not Me, coincidentally, was also around the Family Circus kids a lot, too.  He's a ubiquitous little guy.

 I've already chronicled several times when life parallels Family Circus art, but here are a few more that I thought seemed all too familiar...





I've been happy to hear that Mr. Keane's son has taken over the comic strip, so we probably still have many chuckles in our future.... and if he ever runs out of material, he's welcome to come visit our house for a little while.

(Here is a link to an article about Bil Keane, if you're interested.  Thank you, Heather, for sending it to me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment