Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

International Experiences

This week while Peter has been off at work, the kids and I have had the opportunities to get to know some Moldovan women a little better, which has been very enjoyable!  One has come over several times to help me out, another one came to cut the boys' hair (yay, in-home haircuts!), and one is our language teacher. We've loved hearing their insights on Moldovan culture and the recent, rather dramatic history this country has had.

And we've also had some opportunities to interact with people from other countries as well.  There are many embassies here in the city, so there is an active ex-pat community that is very welcoming.  Strider has been taking tennis lessons at the international school a mile up the road, which he loves.  In his small class, there are kids from Germany, Italy and Sweden, and his instructor is Moldovan.

I actually got out this week,too, and went to a meeting of the International Women's Club.  I wish I had had a camera -- not really... I don't need to be that weird new woman who brings a camera!  The gathering was at a hotel and about 60 women came.  Some of them looked quite glamorous!  :)  Anyway, it was quite interesting getting to meet women from all over, and I hope to get more involved with some of the activities of the club.  The central focus seems to be raising money for charities focused on children and women in the city, so I like that.

We are soaking up the opportunities to talk to people from all over the world!

2 comments: