Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

Trying to teach this brood

When I think of what homeschooling could be, I insist on picturing all my children sitting calmly around me as I read a scintillating book full of deep truths and wisdom. The only interruptions of this reading would consist of a thoughtful child raising his hand to point out an element of symbolism we might have missed otherwise, or my stopping to point out thematic elements that can relate to our lives. As I set the book down, the children are all disappointed to see it end, but are glowing with their newly-gained insights. Then, as I expound on foundational values and morals for life, they soak it all in, and are thankful. I finally dismiss them to their rooms where they plot out new designs for life-altering inventions, or ways to raise money for orphanages.

When will this vision suddenly become reality?? Because it so is not.

Ok, ok, I know the part where the children become genius inventors or child philanthropists is a stretch… and even the part where they are thankful for the lessons I teach them, really. But, seriously, is it too beyond the realm of possibility to ask that the munchkins just sit and listen quietly as I read a book aloud to them? Apparently it is.

My mother, in a stage of life that can only be explained by temporary insanity, decided that raising 5 active and mostly strong-willed children was not enough, so she also became a dog-breeder. This meant that at various times we had 8-13 Golden Retriever puppies loose in the house. At one point she actually wanted to have a batch of puppies photographed – in a basket. It turns out that the stage when the puppies are the cutest is also the stage when they can climb out of just about anything you put them in. So there the adults were – all trying to put the puppies back in the giant basket just for a quick camera shot. No sooner would 6 puppies be placed in the basket than at least 3 of them had climbed back out.

That image of trying to keep all the puppies in the basket is what now runs through my head when I sit down each day after lunch to read a book (currently Redwall) to my kids. At any given moment, at least one of the pups is way, way out of the basket. I finally get one or two engaged and interested, and another one starts whining about how someone is sitting in his seat, or taking his part of the blanket, or putting his feet on her. Or someone suddenly needs help going to the bathroom (usually the toddler). Or the boys start inventing a game for every time I read a certain word. It regularly takes me no less than 10 minutes to get through one paragraph with all the interruptions.

Even our Bible time is wrought with interruptions and confusion. I always start out so happily and hopefully, ready to share some pearls of wisdom with my sweet offspring. But within 5 minutes, I hear myself yelling, “EVERYONE NEEDS TO STOP MOVING AROUND AND STOP INTERRUPTING AND START PAYING ATTENTION, DO YOU HEAR ME??” It puts a damper on the tone of the time, certainly. The oldest child insists on making constant jokes, the second child cannot focus on what I’m saying – pretty much ever – and the third child suddenly is thirsty or hungry or tired. And don’t even get me started on the squirrely fourth child who never is quiet…. All I can say is, I cannot get these puppies to stay in the basket even for one second!

It is becoming clear that I have inherited my mother’s proneness to insanity, though… I keep thinking homeschooling can be that idyllic, peaceful scene where the cherubs all listen to their revered mother with rapt attention. When will that day finally arrive? When?? 

I want to be the wise and graceful hen with her chicks all pecking nicely around her feet; intead I am the crazy, wild-haired woman trying to get the puppies back in the basket.  At this point, my goal is just to finish this Redwall book before someone graduates.

8 comments:

  1. One severe mercy of parenting: exposing our illusions of control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the puppies in a basket analogy. to continue it, just remember that golden retriever puppies eventually become really great dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect analogy - it really works for any parenting endeavor, I think!

    (By the way, I remember coming over to your house to see a litter of those puppies - they were so, so cute!!)

    I have so enjoyed keeping up with you and your adventures in Moldova through your blog!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will happen someday. Years from now for you but nonetheless, it will be in a blink of an eye and all those struggles will be worth it. Some of our best memories now is reading a book out loud together :o) but even with all teens there is still whining and complaining that goes hand in hand with the good talks we have on worldview (every once in awhile), the begging of just one more chapter and the cozy feeling of having all the children around you captivated by the story and my attempt at different character voices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I know when it will be like that....in the rearview mirror, both for you and for them. We are thinking about taking a second family trip to Sanibel Florida because we have such fun memories of the last time we were there..happy, sunny, glowing memories. The reality included all of those memories, but it also included the craziness/yelling/grumpiness. Did you see the article: "Don't tell me to Carpe Diem?" The author was tired of well-meaning older women telling her to enjoy every minute while it lasted. She knows she will be glad to have parented and that there are times when it actually feels like fun in the moment, but the doing is work. I often am surprised at how much work it can take to have fun and meaningful recreation! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet friend, love these days and treasure every moment. It's funny that your story also sounds much like the "orange" group we experience every Sunday. HA! Kids are....the best! As always, I smile and laugh and pray for you and miss you while reading your words. Gosh, I love the Golden Retriever breed! We had Chase for 14 years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was perfect for me to read today! Thank you for making me feel like I am not the only crazy lady with 4 kids!!!! Solidarity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome is all I can say! captured so well.

    ReplyDelete