Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Like father, like son


As I've often teased Peter, he has yet to write an academic paper that does not have a colon in the title. They're always called something like, "An Economic Blah-de-Blah Something-ization Concerning A-Really-Long-Word: A Comprehensive Economicalish and Social Entreprenurismic Analysis."

And lately I've noticed that Colsen has adopted a great love of speech with colons involved in each sentence. For awhile, he gave me a preamble of each statement, like,

"Mom! You are going to be haaa--pppppy: We're going to watch Brady Bunch tonight!"

or
"Mom, THIS is dirty: When Daddy and I go outside to do our work."

or

"Mom, know why I'm building a house? This is something you're going to like: Because I'm gonna live next door to you!"

One of my favorites was this past Sunday at church, when we were in the bathroom. He says, "Mom! This is magical: I went to the bathroom TWO times this morning! Once at home, and once here!"

Now, over this last week, he's also decided that he should preface everything with, "Let me ask you something: " So, all day, we hear of hundreds of "Let me ask you something's," such as,

"Let me ask you something: What are we doing today?"

(He reminds me a little of Dwight on "The Office" always prefacing things with, "Question:")

Even as I'm typing this right now, he's saying,

"Mom, let me ask you something: Know why I don't like my sandwich? Because it's gross."

and

"Let me ask you something: If I don't eat my sandwich, I don't get anything else?"

A lot of times it's not even followed up with a question. Sometimes it's just an introduction for a statement, or a story.

My recent favorite--

"Let me ask you something: Here, let me give you some money. I want to pay you for your trouble."

While I was chuckling at this, wondering where he heard that phrase, he handed me a quarter, and said, "Ok, now can you give me some dollars?"

Looks like he's picking up on some Economics lessons from his dad, too.

1 comment:

  1. This is SO darn funny!!! I am sitting here about falling off my chair laughing!!!!!!! He is such a riot! AND -- I loved the title of Pete's possible next article!! Also: FANTASTIC shot of Pete and Colsen!!! I, too, can use a colon!

    ReplyDelete