Pages

Saturday, October 16, 2010

News station field trip

This past week, Strider had an opportunity to learn about how the news is reported by visiting a local TV station. I've been wanting to take him on a field trip like this for a few years now; since he's such a talker, I've often thought he might enjoy being a talking head professionally -- or at least a sports broadcaster. :)

So, our co-op planned a trip, and off he went! (Sadly, I couldn't go since only kids ages 10 and up were allowed in the station, so I had to stay home with the young 'uns)

Strider took the camera, though, and with the help of some of the other moms, got some good shots. He couldn't wait to tell me allllll about it when he got home. Such enthusiasm and excitement! They got a little tour of the behind-the-scenes work...
...and then watched the live noon broadcast! Strider told me he was so close to the meteorologist's set that he could have made a noise or even "stuck his foot" into the frame and ruined the whole show. :)


After the show, the kids got to take turn learning how to work the weather set... (I just realized as I'm looking at these pictures that he was wearing flip-flops! What kind of mom sends her kid off to a field trip at a professional place in flip-flops? Apparently this non-attentive one. Oh well. I hope the station forgives me.)And whaddyaknow.... the weather really was sunny and in the 70's that day. Great forecasting, kids!

It looks like it was a great trip!

Next time our co-op meets, the kids are supposed to all present news stories of their own now. We'll see them put their new knowledge and skills to work. Should be interesting! Perhaps there is a future broadcaster or reporter in their midst...

1 comment:

  1. Very cool field trip Amy! I think Sidney would enjoy something like that considering that she is a talker too. I have always said that one day, she was going to do something with her words.

    ReplyDelete