Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Upon Looking Around the House

Pennies have been wedged in between our piano keys,
Couch cushions are on the floor for cave-forming ease.
     And a piece of a cracker, half-chewed
     is here on the counter- how rude!
     From all of this mess, one can only conclude,
          Yep, I’m a mom.

There is pink play-dough “pottery” now in my freezer,
My box grater is in a bedroom, being called a “cheeser.”
     Twelve broken crayons on the living room floor,
     A toddler’s large signature on my front door,
     Kids underfoot – ‘til I suggest a chore,
          Yep, I’m a mom.

My potholders are somewhere with my toddler upstairs,
A passenger train has been made out of our chairs.
     Footprints on the walls, thanks to boys who climb,
     I have minds to mold and mold on my limes.
     So much to teach and clean… but no time…
          Yep, I’m a mom.

Hand-picked weed-flowers in a glass on the table,
Scribbled pictures on the fridge by kids growing able.
     Little cuddlers in my bed I wake to find,
     Sweet tiny hands that want to hold mine,
     Hearing “I love you’s” from faces that shine…
          So thankful - I’m a mom.


(And all of these things have been true!)

1 comment: