Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Getaway

Does a 2-night getaway truly warrant three blog post entries in my book?  Why yes, yes it does.  (I don't get out much.)  So here are the rest of my thoughts about my time away with Pete.

1.  I loved having time to sit outside on a couple of different porches -- and not having it be unbearably hot.  Gotta love that mountain air!  The evening Pete had to work, I set myself up quite nicely:

And this was the view from the porch of the restaurant we ate at for lunch one day:

2.  We had a lively time hiking one morning in a place I would never have expected:  at Carl Sandburg's house.  (Or "Carl Sagan's house" as Pete kept mistakenly calling it.  Or "Sandy's house" as Pete kept cheesingly calling it.  (Nice word:  cheesingly.))  It turns out ol' Sandy picked a beautiful place to live in his later years, and the acres are now full of wooded trails and lovely mountain-top vistas.



Pete decided to see how well he could climb this steep, sheer rock.  He's still got it  (see him in picture below) -- although he was slightly nervous coming back down.  Thankfully he didn't land in the water.
The only picture of me from this excursion is this lame one:

3.  Even though we didn't have the kids with us, we sure acted like we did sometimes.  I couldn't go past a public restroom at any point on the trip, without thinking we should duck in, "just in case."  And when we pulled into a parking lot for a strip mall that had a Game Stop in it, Pete reflexively stated, "NO, we are not going in to Game Stop" -- even though there were no 11-year old boys actually in the car.

And now we're home with those children we missed.  Good to be home... but it was awfully nice to get away for a couple days.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment