Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Other thoughts

Lately it seems this journal has been mostly about the kids... mainly because that's who I've been spending all my time with! Yesterday, though, I finally got the chance to get out of the house and have some other thoughts....  and where would I go but shopping?  Off I went with my long list of things I "needed" -- the most significant of which were some throw pillows and curtains for our bedroom.  After 3.5 hours and 10 stores, my mind was mostly a-muddle, but I do remember having a few observations during that time....  So here are a few of my

Thoughts While Shopping:

1.  I really need those little clips that stores use to pin back the clothes on the mannequins giving them nice defined waists.  Where do I find those clips?!

2.  I also really need a personal shopper/coach/decision-maker to go with me at all times.  I am one of the most decision-making-impaired people I know.  At one point I was sitting on the floor in the store with 11 different throw pillows lined up in front of me, moaning.  I ended up buying most of them to end the agony, but now I will be taking most, or more probably, all of them back to the store and trying something else.

3.  When all else fails, head to Stein Mart.

4.  There are a lot of cool things out in stores these days!  Who knew?!  Now I'm finding all kinds of new things I "need."

5.  The thrill of buying new make-up is still just as strong as it was when I was 16.  I still believe the new lipliner/concealer/mascara is going to transform my face into a model's.

6.  Even though I haven't spent a lot of time in dressing rooms in recent years, I still remember my systems for maximizing efficiency in trying on multiple items.

7.  My batting average is still extremely low when it comes to choosing good items to try on.  (Related to point #2) I would estimate that my ratio of "hits" to "misses" is 1:24.  Those dressing room attendants must hate to see me coming.   And then even when I pick out the 2 or 3 things I will actually buy... I end up taking at least 2 or 3 of them back a week later.


So now I am home with a bunch of things to return to the stores... and I'm no closer to finding a color scheme for our bedroom.  All I know so far is I have a butter-yellow bedspread with dark sage-green sheets.  Oh, and a dark cranberry throw blanket.  If anyone has any ideas on wall colors, curtain colors, or pillow colors, do let me know!

In the meantime, I'm just happy to have some non-kid thoughts once in awhile.  Even if they are in an area of complete weakness for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment