Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Spring Break highlights

This past week was Wingate's spring break. In this stage of life, sleeping in late and getting nice and tan (the first 2 things I think of when I hear the words "Spring break") are but elusive dreams. However, we did get to have some fun, and do some catching up on things around here that needed to be done. So, all in all, it was a very good break, which even felt a little "Spring-ish" by the end. Here are some of the highlights:

  1. Pete and Strider's annual ski trip/day. This time they went to Beech Mountain, which they loved! Each year Strider gets better and better and the guys enjoy their time together. Even the car rides sound like they're good bonding times. It did NOT look much like spring up in the mountains... but sure was beautiful!
    2. Seeing a juggler perform at the library.
    I loved watching all the kids' reactions to this crazy guy. Strider was falling over continually laughing so hard, Rayna was mildly amused, and Colsen was downright nervous about it all. In the end, though, they all thought it was fantastic. Colsen keeps announcing, "That guy juggled FIVE balls! But I can do SIX!"


    3. Building A LOT of forts and caves around the house. I didn't get any pictures of this... although I should have because the days of the fort walls, a.k.a. my couch cushions' days are numbered since we are....

4. Sofa-shopping. We took a few trips to furniture stores, during which we noticed our kids instantly turned into wild hooligans the minute we set foot on the premises. Something about large open stores causes these kids to turn on their turbo rocket blasters and they must sit on/touch/climb on everything. Needless to say these trips to the store were not very fruitful for us, nor long in duration. So we will continue to shop online I think.

5. Doing our taxes. Yes, this was a highlight actually. Thanks to the fact that we are apparently on the lower end of the American income bell curve, we benefit tremendously from the Great Redistribution of Wealth Scheme our government has set up. Pete gets quite angry when I say this, but it's true!

6. Free ice cream at Brusters on Pajama Day! Pete refused to participate, but the rest of us kept our pj's on yesterday until our little adventure out to Brusters.... Yum!! I, and the kids, say it was well worth it.


It will be hard to go back to our regular schedule tomorrow....

5 comments:

  1. We went too in our pj's!!! IT was well worth the trip... esp after 2 weeks of no dessert for Lent :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to know my kids are not the only ones who become raging hooligans the minute they step foor in a furniture store. is it something in the lighting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bummed that I missed PJ day at Brusters! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison, I think you might be on to something!

    I even remember this phenonmenon from when I was a kid. My parents took us once (and maybe only once ever) to a carpet store, and I definitely recall not being able to restrain myself from climbing and through the huge carpet rolls -- and I was probably 10 or 12 at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's true, Amy!! I still remember that excursion, as well!! It was terrible! I think there were a few other times that we took various combination and permutations of offspring with us to furniture stores -- and the result was ALWAYS the same!!! Wonder what the root cause of that is!!

    ReplyDelete